Friday, November 18, 2011

We are Thankful for.....

As Thanksgiving approaches (quickly being overshadowed by Christmas), Chris asked me "Do you think Christian knows what Thankgiving is?" - I turned to him and said "Probably not because we haven't told him." I realized we were spending so much of our evenings rushing around, getting lunches packed, baths done, and savoring a quick 5 minute rest on the couch, we have been neglecting things we use to do. After some tweaking some things and convincing myself that some things can wait to be done (but not before bedtime!), we got back into the groove of things.

During dinner Wednedsday night, we started our conversation on Thanksgiving. I asked Christian what he thought it was and simply said "I don't know." I started to explain how Thanksgiving came about and why we celebrate it. Afterwards I asked him what he was thankful for...

"So Christian, what are you thankful for? What things or people are you happy to have?"

He smiled for a second and said "You Mommy...And Daddy...oh and Mom and Pop...Aunt Niiiik and Uncle Greeeeg"

I kissed him and said "That's great"... "Anything else?"

He nodded and started to list "Team Umizoomi, my cars, chicken nuggets and fries, fruit snacks..."

I was chuckling and said "What about the person who watches over you and is always in your heart?"

He nodded and said "Him too."

"Who?"

"You know Mommy.....God."

And with that, he ate the rest of his food and said "Can I be excused?"

Laughing I said "Yes", and off he went to play.

I came into work on Thursday and printed out the things he said he was thankful for, then got the template for the "Thankful Tree".

Last night, we went through the meaning of Thanksgiving while we put our "Thankful Tree" together. It turned out so cute - and he was sooooo proud :)