Monday, August 15, 2011

Daycare has begun...

Last week I started back to work after 6 weeks of maturnity leave. Christian was with me for the last 3 weeks of my leave - he was too jealous to go to daycare. He also knew I was home with Brody and didn't want to be left out. I can't blame him, but it was probably the hardest 3 weeks of my life.

Monday was Christian's first day at his "big boy school". He was really excited the last week of my leave, as we started to build him and the daycare center up. Sunday night, he was really excited, then...... Monday came and we went to daycare.

We dropped Brody off first in his classroom, then we made our way to his room.

It was horrible. It was heartbreaking. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. He was screaming, crying, reaching and pleading - "Mommy, don't go. Don't leave Mommy." I was crying, he was crying... The teachers probably thought we were crazy (I know they've seen it all before!). I called 6 times the first day he was there.

Tuesday morning... He cried when we got to the driveway. He was so upset. He threw up. I started to doubt this whole process.


Disney Week project - Mickey Mouse Mask

Wednesday as soon as his eyes popped open he said "I don't wanna go to big boy school". He still cried, but not as much. I stood outside his classroom door and cried quietly, but I was relieved to hear his cries stop.

Wednesday night, he started whining "I don't want to go to big boy school." (As you may have noticed, the whining got earlier and earlier.)



Thursday morning, he cried a bit, but not hysterically. He had Chick-Fil-A for lunch and was looking forward to that. Again, I stood outside his door and waited for his cries to stop. It didn't take long... maybe 3 minutes.

Friday, took a turn for the worst. It was like it was his first day all over again. Not sure what triggered that, but when I picked him up, he was smiling and playing in the sandbox!

Overall, I guess it went as well as it could have gone. I asked him everyday "Did you have fun"?" "Are your teachers nice?" .... he responds "Yes" to all the questions. It's just seperation anxiety that I hope he soon overcomes.

The center is great. He has learned already. He is beginning to write and trace shapes and numbers. The teachers are really good and I love the teachers in the infant room - They are so great with Brody!



Water Slide Wednesdays



Tuesdays are water play days, Wednesdays are movie days, Every other Thursday Chick-Fil-A brings lunch to the kids, and on Fridays they get snowballs. What isn't there to love? In September, he will start swim lessons on Mondays and the Tumble Bus will be there on Wednesdays. 

Inside the Tumble Bus

















It is a major adjustment for us all but hopefully it will be get easier and easier :) It's bound to right?